Rare John Cary Map 1799 - New Map Of Piedmond, The Duchies Of Savoy & Milan and the Republic of Genoa, with their subdivisions dated 1799
Dimensions: 18 x 20 inches (45.7 cm x 50.8 cm)
This authentic hand-colored antique map is an exceptional work by the prominent cartographer John Cary. It extends from Lake Geneva in the north all the way to Nice in the south, and eastward as far as Parma, Italy. It includes the Duchy of Milan, the Province of Turin and the Republic of Genoa, among others. It predates the Italian solidarity movement of the mid-19th century. Color-coded according to district.
Cities, towns, and small villages are denoted as are natural features such as forests, lakes, inlets and gulfs of the sea, and rivers. Lakes Como and Maggiore are included. Cary has a unique method of depicting certain mountain ranges which causes them to appear almost three-dimensional. This map contains several such examples.
The map is in overall great condition as you can see from the photographs
John Cary (1755-1835) was a British cartographer and publisher best known for his clean engraving and distinct style which influenced the entire map industry. Born in Wiltshire, John was apprenticed to an engraver in London. He started his own business by 1782 and moved to several premises before settling at 86 St James’s Street in 1820.
Cary had several significant collaborations during his career. John Wallis and Cary diversified Cary’s business to include broader publishing projects. Brother William and John made globes together, while brother Francis participated in the company’s engraving work. Finally, geologist William Smith and Cary developed and sold geological maps, some of the first of their kind. The pair also produced a notable series of county maps starting in 1819. Cary’s atlases, of English counties and the world, were the standard texts of the early nineteenth century. He was appointed surveyor of roads to the General Post Office in 1794, which led to the New Itinerary, first published in 1798.
John trained his son, George, in engraving and George and his other son, John Jr., took over the business in 1821. It was then known as G. and J. Cary and continued in trade until 1850. The firm’s materials were then acquired by George Frederick Cruchley and then Gall and Inglis. By the time John died in 1835, Cary was the authoritative name in private map publishing and his business was a leader in the field throughout the first half of the nineteenth century.